Thursday, July 07, 2005

My Reaction to the Events in London



All morning long I have tried to sort out my thoughts and to clarify my emotions about the most recent terrorist attack. I have not been very successful, partly because I seem to relive my feelings in the aftermath of 9/11 but also because a short pause from thinking about the reasons and consequences of this attack seems necessary. It's almost unbearable for me to read political arguments about Bush and the flypaper theory and so on, and I want the trolls to just go away from liberal blogs. It's as if we are all grabbing onto the same gameboy as the terrorists, seeing how this will play out in the longer run, and we do it even when we are shocked and saddened. I know that I do it and I'm shocked and saddened.

But the time is wrong. It's not yet time for all that. This is the time to remember those who died and think of those who are wounded and to wish them and those who love them peace. Both in London and in Iraq. And yes, it is slightly artificial to do this, given that I don't know anyone personally this time, but even artificial wishes are better than none.

For me being human requires this, or the terrorists have won as they say.