Thursday, October 19, 2006

A Moot Point



I'm learning more and more about the English language via politics. Here is Michael Steele, candidating to be a Senator:

Asked whether he thought Roe v. Wade was wrongly decided, Steele said: "What's that got to do with anything? I'm a Senate candidate. My opinion on that is moot," according to the article.

Pressed further, he is quoted as saying: "Do not think you're going to define me on that question; don't even go there. That is nowhere near defining who I am. It's not even a piece of defining who I am. ... Trying to define me on this issue is ludicrous." ("Separate pitches to state Chamber," Baltimore Sun, 10/18/06)

Who cares whether the question defines him? His views on abortion will affect whom he votes into the Supreme Court, and that, in turn, will affect the lives of millions of women in this country. How dare he belittle those women and their lives!

Of course he is a candidate for the anti-abortion brigade. They are spending money on his campaign. I wonder if they know he finds the whole point moot?