Thursday, January 22, 2009

My New Worry



I suddenly realized how much I worry about something new, something that has built up during the last eight years, and that is a leader who will not change his mind. George Bush took such pride in that, as if hitting your head against a brick world proves your good character, and on the whole we were all powerless against this hard-headedness or unable to get our voices out when others clapped and praised it as decisive leadership.

So now I fear that in an almost post-traumatic syndrome sense. I want to see Obama amenable to listening the viewpoints of others, amenable to learning and adjusting his policies. There are no reasons to suspect that he would not learn or change when needed; it's just something I now fear. It makes me look at everything with a magnifying glass, because an over-confident leader is a dreadful thing for this world.