Thursday, May 20, 2010

Idina Menzel & Lea Michele (by Suzie)



I'm no Gleek, but I caught Tuesday's episode because it was directed by Joss Whedon, my beloved. In the duet above, a glee club member is singing along to her mother's voice on a cassette. In addition to their voices, I love the looks of Menzel and Michele. I needed more members of the tribe on TV when I was a kid. I'm not surprised that some people don't find these women attractive; I was teased in school for my looks. Michele says:
I love me and my body and my Jewish nose. If that is inspiring and can give young girls a sense of confidence, that's great.
People also debate whether she's a diva, one of those insults, like "bitch," that apply only to women, unless they are being used to question a man's manhood. For example, check out Andrea Grimes's take down of the Snickers commercial in which guys turn into real divas, including Aretha Franklin and Liza Minnelli, when they don't get their chocolate fix.
Sorry, Snickers. If I had a choice between going on a road trip with these bickering dudes or going on a road trip with Liza and Aretha, I'm taking the diva road trip.
I'm posting this today, instead of my usual Friday, in case the video is taken off YouTube.